View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko
Afaik, with tesla, like microsoft back in the day, IT IS VAPOURWARE until I can go buy one in whatever they use for a store.
Brit-like typing detected.

Vaporware is a term used for products that necessarily interoperate (like you plug your car into your pickup truck and now the door won't open). It was a strategy Microsoft used to hobble the industry*. Tesla invites competition as it furthers their corporate goal — saving ourselves on this planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907
I see a lot of criticism on social media because this truck won't be as good as diesel for otr. Duh? It's strong suit is dock work, yard truck, around town delivery, regional delivery, etc.
Flee social media. You don't need the grief.

I think the strong suit is crossing mountain ranges. 50% faster uphill, and it will never need brake parts. Drivers need to stop every 500 miles anyway.

edit: *Microsoft is totes different today. Here is a comment from a developer on Slashdot today:

Quote:
It's more like Embrace and Extend. No Extinguish. (Score:4, Interesting)
by Anonymous Coward on Friday November 17, 2017 @05:52PM (#55573269)

It's not 1995. Microsoft of today is very different of the Microsoft from two decades ago. The presence of Azure alone guarantees that their old business approaches are irrelevant in today's market.

Microsoft has become one of the premiere open source providers. They've released a huge amount of great open source software, from .NET Core to Visual Studio Code to TypeScript and beyond.

Maybe it isn't apparent to people firmly stuck in the past, such as yourself, but Microsoft has leapfrogged many of the traditional open source companies.

People actually like using .NET Core on platforms like Linux and macOS. They like using Visual Studio Code, because it's an excellent cross-platform IDE. They love using TypeScript because it brings sanity to JavaScript.

Yes, Microsoft does embrace and extend open source software. And we're thankful for it! They're providing us some great improvements. That's what open source is all about: allowing a wide variety of contributors to improve the open source software.

As for the Extinguish phase you're fixated on, it's not an issue. They just aren't doing it. They can't really extinguish the projects based on the code they've released under very liberal open source licenses.
The whole world has turned around. Democrats used to be anti-war, Bill Gates used to be evil. I put the blame on Kek.

Last edited by freebeard; 11-18-2017 at 12:46 PM..