View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtobasics View Post
I have a 1976 Dart Lite, the twin to the Feather Duster. Mine is currently a /6 but was an early version that came with the 3 speed manual, instead of the 4 speed OD. I have the 4 speed, so it will be going in at some point. I am conducting my own MPG experiment as we speak, and it is posted on some of the Mopar forums (Forabodiesonly.com and slantsix.org.) I have gone from an as purchased MPG of 13 up to 20 MPG so far. I am making modifications bit by bit, with a goal of maximizing the tune on the car as is, and then swapping in the overdrive transmission.
IMO the number of 36 is not realistic, as the method of reporting MPG was far different then it is today. I would be thrilled to be at 25+. Bear in mind, my current is combination of city and highway, so a max out build with all the tricks could be into the 30's but I just don't see 36-36 as possible.
I am modifying with the intent of the turbo that is going on this winter, so some modifications are not totally directed towards an absolute Ecomodder direction, but the general direction is something that I can build and tune towards best mileage possible in an older hotrod, on a 3 or so times a week driver.
25 in the Dart seems real doable.I inherited my grandfather's '62 Dodge truck.It started at 11-mpg.I lost the 4:56 rear axle,slipped in a 3:50 out of a later model 1977 truck(bolted right up),went from 3-speed to 4-spd OD trans(1977also)which required emergency brake conversion and custom slave-cylinder bracket.With a electric fan conversion,streamlined nose and aeroshell,front gap-fillers and full wheel discs,she's good for 21.5 mpg at a steady 70-mph,with a very weak 225.I've had it to 95-mph on three occasions.Don't know what a fresh engine would do.------------------- The smaller,lighter Dart you'd think would be a shoe-in for better mpg.