View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Which is more evil, meat, soy, gluten, or southpaws?

Supposedly, meat is an expensive part of one's diet, and causing martian warming or whatever. I have been trying out vegetarian meals and have thus far found every single one to be unsatisfying. They just need a little, I don't know, je ne sais quoi.

I found this page: 50 Vegetarian Recipes That Even Omnivores Will Love | Care2 Healthy Living

I look forward to viewing it at home, with ad blockers. I am not mean to animals. I am actively seeking out meals not made from them and I am not donating to any sad animals while I have several thousand dollars in credit card debt.

Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

That page has meals split into four categories, soy (tofu), fermented soy (tempeh), beans, and something called seitan (say tan), which is made from gluten.

This alleged doctor makes some very one-sided arguments against seitan in favor of tempeh and lean meat: https://draxe.com/seitan/

"Everyone seems to be trying to reduce gluten intake."

I do not know anyone trying to reduce it. Wikipedia says that 0.5 - 13% of people are sensitive to gluten. Dr. And My Axe hints that if you do not have a gluten problem, if you consume too much, you may develop one.

"[T]here is no research linking seitan intake to increased prevalence of gluten allergies or intolerances"

What frustrates me is that his first reason to not eat seitan is how much gluten it contains. His third reason is also how much gluten it contains.

He complains that it is not a complete protein. Commenters state that it only lacks lysine, but this page claims it is an excellent source of lysine.

I only see blog posts about seitan and lysine. I want to find something more reliable.

His fourth complaint is the sodium content. I do not remember seitan specifically at Safeway, but all of the fake meat was ridiculously expensive, so I would attempt to make my own seitan.

Dr. Body Spray recommends miso, tempeh, and natto--all three are fermented soy products.

Builtlean says that quinoa, hemp and chia seed, buckwheat, and spirulina are plant-based complete proteins.

How many of you are vegetarians? How many of you have tried seitan? Do you have any other information to contribute?