View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,394 Times in 3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I imagine you think a tethered custom helium balloon designed to look like a flying saucer would also be conspicuous.
I did think about painting the dish in camo, but the solar panel needs to be angled in a specific way to capture the sunlight.

Helium balloons were among my first thoughts for mounting an antenna, but there is no practical way to stabilize the orientation, which would make for a very flaky connection.

My next thought was to strap a long pole towards the top of the tree and mount the antenna to that. Stability concerns arise again. These trees already sway a lot in the wind. Being atop a pole would multiply the effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I have never tried to beam 2.4ghz like that before, but given enough amplification and restricting it to one direction I would think 7 miles isn't too far.
The distance should be no issue at all. The objects in the way is another matter. I'll try to get a more precise measurement of how far off the ground I am, along with precise GPS coordinates so the mapping can be as accurate as possible.

Now I know what I'll be doing for Thanksgiving... mapping the GPS coordinates of the tallest tree, and then measuring its height.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!