View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
fud2468
EcoModding Lurker

Lurker, now introducing

Hi, I couldn't resist posting yesterday about the Plymouth Feather Duster before getting onto this thread--I just didn't have the time then to compose this.
I've been to several car sites looking for economy mod information, but they all seemed to want to discuss performance mods, 850+ cfm carbs, etc. I'm therefore excited to have found this site.
I'm awed by the credentials that most of you have. I started college with the idea of becoming a mechanical engineer, but higher math threw me and I got into sociology instead. Wound up as a prison counselor and am now retired. I would go into auto mechanics if I had it to do all over again.
In spite of the fact that I'm elderly, I feel that what I can bring to the table here is my long interest in vehicle economy and a long memory. For example, in about 1974, in response to the Arab Oil Embargo, Car and Driver magazine had a couple of articles on aero and other mods to improve economy. One article was on a "Crisis-Fighter Pinto" and the other was about mods to a Datsun Z-car. I think I have one of the mags around, and I will look for it. IIRC, they got 50mpg out of the Pinto, I don't recall at what speed. I looked pretty closely on this site and didn't see any mention of those articles.
And then there's the flat-head long-stroke 1950 Lincoln that got 26 mpg on the (then) yearly Mobilgas Economy Run. Quite a feat for a tank with bias-ply tires, no aero mods, etc.--but that's another story.
Ray Mac