View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
stefanv
EcoModding Lurker

2001 Saturn - '01 Saturn SL1
90 day: 41.68 mpg (US)
Still working on the tablet installation. Radio is out, amp is built, but I still need to fabricate something to hold the tablet itself. I hope to finish that this weekend.

In the mean time, I've put my winter tires on the car. Before I did so, my fuel economy on the last couple of tanks has gone down a bit, I think due to lots of windy and/or rainy and/or cold weather. I expected it to get worse with the snow tires (it always has in the past).

However, as I was putting them on, I noticed that they had a max sidewall rating of 45psi, vs. the 35psi on my summer tires. I had the summers inflated to the full 35, and decided to try the snows at 40 for now. So far, for the first tank and a half, my fuel economy has improved by about 3% according to both Torque and calculations done at fill-up, despite the weather getting worse. This looks promising. I'm not sure I'll take them all the way to 45, since the ride is already getting a bit harsh.