View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Most people won't need more than 4GB of RAM, especially if just surfing the web and wasting time with Facespook. The SSD would certainly make more difference in perceived speed than adding more RAM.

I've had a handful of SSDs die at my old job, and 1 personal one, but generally if they work for a month, they will work for years after. Don't know why you wouldn't bother with the warranty replacement, or at least getting your money back, unless you paid some trivial amount for them. I've never paid less than $100 because I go name brand such as Intel or Samsung.

I highly recommend an SSD for laptops for several reasons. The laptop being portable, the hard drive is subjected to much more vibration and drop potential. This puts data at risk for physical damage. Spinning the platters wastes more energy than an SSD consumes, lowering battery run time. Finally, laptops are slow enough, they need all the performance improvements they can get. An SSD makes page swapping and resuming from sleep snappy.

I disable the "close lid" > "suspend computer" action because sometimes when I close the lid, I don't want my computer going to sleep. Then, as you have pointed out, it doesn't always go to sleep. By pressing the sleep button, which is nearly as easy as closing the lid, you are in full control of the sleep behavior.

My company has a GPO that sets the idle timeout to a very short time and then my PC gets locked, so I installed a program called Caffeine that presses the f15 button every minute for an amount of time I specify. This keeps the laptop awake, and F15 is not used in almost any application, so it's pretty safe to press (the key probably isn't on your keyboard).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!