View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
schumach
EcoModding Lurker

the van - '92 Toyota Previa
Last 3: 17.34 mpg (US)

Clarice - '07 Toyota Yaris Liftback
90 day: 37.67 mpg (US)
132 miles sounds like plenty of range for experimenting with. The only times I usually need my van anymore is on short trips to Home Depot or to move furniture. Although I will be eventually wanting to add back electric A/C since I'm in AZ and that'll be another power drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
I'm itching to take the SAD beast out with all it's cast iron. There must be a couple hundred lbs there. Good bye inertial mass, hello Ferrarevia!

It already revs up quicker now.
I've got a couple old SAD assemblies that were taken off my van and was able to weigh one of them, and the SAD itself looks like it's only about 20 pounds. I don't know about all its mounting hardware though.

It does seem like this mod would be excellent even for just adding performance to the Previa.

Quote:
Have you heard of any other EV Previas? We are lighter than an S10, can take a bigger payload and are much more aero. There are hundreds of S10 EV's.
No, You're the first other person I've found who's thinking about it. There don't seem to be a lot of minivan conversions in general. The best minivan conversion I've found online is this guy's Voyager, which he claims can do at least 90mph: Bob Gruenwald's 1987 Plymouth Voyager Speed's going to be important to me when I do my conversion because of all the 75mph speed limits around here.

Quote:
My wish list includes a set of LRR tires. Do you know what the OEM tires were? I bet they were LRR.
I used to have another Previa too, and that one still had the original Toyo spare (I always had them check it when I got new tires, and it was still in good condition 15 years later). I'll have to check if my other does and see what type it is.