Thread: gsx r125
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
It’s too bad we don’t get the little sport bikes here, i would love a 125. And no, I don’t count the grom/z125. I want my 6 speed transmission and fairings.
The absence of a 125cc sports motorcycle is also an issue here in Brazil, where this displacement range is usually treated as a lower-end market worth only for high-selling utility motorcycles such as the Honda CG and the Yamaha YBR. The technical sophistication of a full-fairing, 6-speed, liquid-cooled 125cc would most likely render those uncompetitive against a 250cc with a similar project. Actually, even an air-cooled single 250cc would be pointed out as better by many riders just because of its higher displacement, since people here still tend to look only at the displacement as somewhat of a "premium" feature. Those small sports motorcycles tend to have better market perspectives in Southeast Asia mostly due to the higher cost of ownership of a larger one and the fact that some jurisdictions also impose some restrictions on the bigger engines.

Quote:
It’s a solid 15 year wait until I could legally import a fuel injected cbr 125.
I could try to privately import a brand-new one here in Brazil, but the cost wouldn't justify it. Anyway, apart from the emissions compliance, what would be the other issues regarding a grey-import there in the U.S. that I'm not aware of?