View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
gone9
EcoModding Lurker

new to forum looking forward to some MPG's

Well,
Im new here, been lurking for almost a year on-off now. I have been following a lot of Big Daves stuff with his 2000 f350 The Red Baron.

I have a 1999 f250 supercab, short bed 4dr 7.3l diesel with the following:

when I was bone stock 65-67mph I got 19.4 mpg best highway and about 14-16 town average. After level kit and tires about 17.6 best highway and town is roughly 14-15.5ish... I manually calculate since even with a corrected speedo its off a bit. I have an edge insight monitor but it seems useless for average or instant mpg.

2.5in level kit, 285/75r16 tires, AIS Motorcraft severe duty intake, straight pipe exhaust, hydra chip.

I know its not your average eco modder set up but im new and already realized the level kit and tires cost me about 1.5 on average. I take a couple trips to my home in northern Idaho to see family, hunt, etc...

Probably going to get a soft tonneau cover and POSSIBLY fab a air dam like Big Dave did since I don't have snow to deal with in CA.

Hoping to pick up a few tricks.

p.s. I may look at gearing too. I have 3:73's but I may try for some 3:55's seems highest I can fine for a superduty 7.3l. I may also go back to stock suspension and lower the rear about 1.5-2inches to level too.

I also have what diesel runners call the 08+ upgrade mirrors. A larger square mirror. it helps immensely when towing but Im gonna see about folding them and adding a small mirror on the folded section seems some see a very small gain from reducing drag with mirrors. once I have enough post. I'll show pics. they are big ones lol

Last edited by gone9; 11-29-2017 at 07:20 PM..