View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
It’s not that the pack isn’t feasible, chargeable on long distance trips is not reasonable

TSLAs design is undrivable by a human, all of our trucks today have cameras but the truck operator has to be able to communicate with ground staff and physically look out the window and behind the truck for clearance when backing into docks, large blocks and other obstacles are littered all over that the driver has to thread the kneedle with his trailer.
Sleeper-equipped trucks don`t have rear-facing windows - did I miss something? Communicating is done with the radio, isn`t it? Or do people still roll down windows and yell? Getting a coffee at a drive-through may be a problem ...

When I`m backing up a cabin trailer and a boat with just a half-ton .. you don`t see anything out the back. The mirrors are in the wrong places. You can`t see straight down on the side of the truck or at the front corners. Maybe you can see straight down on a semi-tractor .. but just on the driver`s side.

Backup cameras on the trucks are OK. Add a wireless fish-eye .. where you need it to be .. and it`s a whole lot easier. Ford and Chev surround views are pretty good. The auto-trailer backup works with a single trailer - not with a trailer and a boat .. at least the ones that I have seen.

IMHO (but I am not a trucker), with a surround view, a driver can do anything in a center driving position, with no windows at all, that a driver can do in a semi-tractor now.

BUT .. I`m usually wrong when I guess about stuff that I don`t have experience with ... like you are thinking that Tesla did ... so what did I miss?