View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 03:30 AM   #397 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Armchair engineering again.

I just got back today from my last long trip in the Leaf for this year. It's getting a bit cold and snowy and going 160 miles in the Leaf with 65 miles and a 2000ft climb between chargers is a bit sketchy.

Anyhow, I about have the Leaf paid off. After that I'll have a bit more money to work with. And hopefully my VW Bug will be running soon so I can contemplate on extending the range of the Leaf, perhaps chopping the Golf into a pusher trailer for now.

One thing I'm finding out is the low price of lithium ion cells if you look in the right places. There have been genuine 18650 cells for sale on eBay for close to $1,000 for 6kW. There have been even better deals on old laptop batteries. It seems a bit risky, but it does seem possible to build an extra battery that could boost range. Cells could continue to be added until it becomes a 100kW battery trailer. It would be nice to be able to do 300 miles in the Leaf all electric. Also I could put solar panels on the trailer and use it as a powerwall. If I could figure out how to get the Leaf to draw from only the trailer I could go to the next town and leave the trailer at a charging station and do my thing and come back and keep going.