View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #112 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I watched "Hidden Figures" with my roommate and he said "Man! I wish that I was black in the 60s! That looks like a superpower!"

I briefly dated a gorgeous black girl that was way younger than me. She initiated contact and it seemed that I only ever had a chance because I did not care that she was black--but everyone else did.

Apparently, Northern Arizona University has special funding for Native Americans, and Native American applicants do not need to compete against everybody, just other Native Americans. I know a young lady in a competitive grad program that says she did not apply herself while earning her Bachelor's and did not study for the GRE.

When I was at a convention in L.A. there were representatives from black and female colleges. I thought that it was kind of funny that I had even less of a chance of being accepted there than anywhere else.

Maybe one employer does not look past the name of an applicant. Perhaps there is an actual reason, like only hiring people with simple names like Bob, Sue, and Lee, because their clientele struggle with names. Maybe they leave burning crosses in people's yards. I honestly do not know.

If a company needs an employee that speaks Spanish, are they wrong to hire a native speaker? What if some verbose gringo speaks better Spanish?

Maybe a company sees better results sending employees of one race or ethnicity into certain neighborhoods than others. Not sending a black individual into a rich white neighborhood is racist, but not sending a white guy into a poor black neighborhood is smart?

Some people discriminate against certain people. Others may favor them. Does it balance out? Not for this guy: Surprise man charged with DUI; documents show drug recognition experts said no impairment present - ABC15 Arizona

[Surprise is a city near Phoenix]

What do we do?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seinfield cookie.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	23124