View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #147 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That right there is why I don't fit into this world. I'd like to get along, but I can't trust the opposite gender to not whisper poisonous thoughts into my ear late in the night.
Believe me, my wife has no hesitation being confrontational with me.

The best relationships are those in which the goals, values, happiness and well-being of both parties are held in equal regard. It helps when those goals and values are similar.

Quote:
I don't buy if I can't meet the asking price. Not sure if it's out of pride or showing respect.

I don't like selling. When I sold the green Superbeetle, I asked US$3000* and dropped the price $1-200 a month until I got to $1500. A guy drove it and then asked me if I could come down any on the price.

*mid-book — it had suspension upgrades and started in 1/4 revolution (it fired on the very first cylinder)
I respect the pride you have in meeting the asking price.

My nature is to avoid spending money, and that includes paying as little as possible when I finally do make a purchase. I take pride in knowing I paid less than most would have.

When I went to look at my Acura, the dealer initial asking price was $22k. I laughed and said that was absurd, and he asked what a reasonable price was. I said it was only worth $17k. He came down to $17,400 fairly quickly, but ultimately I still walked out. I had only come to see the vehicle, and hadn't fully researched what it was worth. 2 weeks later, the dealer agreed to my $17k price. Perhaps the extra wait and hassle of making a 2nd trip wasn't worth $400, but I took pride in having made no concessions on my price. It was certainly worth the miniscule effort it took to save $5k on the asking price.

When selling something, I usually list it a little under the market value to avoid wasting time haggling, and to have more options available for potential customers. When I sold a 2007 Subaru Outback, the buyer didn't attempt to haggle on the price at all because I had priced it very fairly to begin with. My rooms for rent in the house always get a strong response because I don't ask maximum price. It allows me to select good roommates from a large pool of people instead of being forced to accept the 1 person who is barely (un)able to make the high rent I'm asking.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!