View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 05:07 AM   #163 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I just found out about, and watched the video of Daniel Shaver being killed, which was extremely disturbing. I can see why he was shot, but a person with the proper attitude (protect and serve) and training (identify aggression vs submission) would not have acted that way. Telling someone they will be shot for the smallest deviation of orders does not justify it. I'm not saying the officer should necessarily be charged criminally, but I am saying our law enforcement over-emphasises aggression and under-emphasises de-escalation.
I don't think that's the mentality they're supposed to have -- protect and serve. Like all super authoritarian hierarchical institutions the only meaningful job requirement of the people doing the job is to follow orders. Everything else be damned. There's moral cops, there's the cops who have a chip on their shoulders, there's the patriotic cops, there's ex-military, and there's the quiet guys who just want a simple beat to work on. But all of them understand that the only objective they actually have as far as their job is concerned is to follow orders. This is needed for the dangerous situations they may from time to time find themselves in, but it doesn't foster the civil goal of having a "noble" police force.

Also, going back a page, I take it by the quotation marks that you think the Japanese internment wasn't racist? Like, if that wasn't racism, then I guess you don't really believe in racism as a concept?
The Following User Says Thank You to Natalya For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (12-09-2017)