View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
gone9
EcoModding Lurker

Always a fun read. Unfortunately I can’t say I’m a Supreme hyper miler yet, but I did OTR trucking and flatbed trucking for a bit after I got out of the Air Force in 2014. I’m familiar with the more common smart driving techniques and to be honest this is how I usually drive on the way to Idaho/back:

Map out my fuel stations for a combination of time/miles/ practicality of route/
I usually fuel up 3/4 times. There are some very steep and long grades to and from my route. It’s a 14.5hour drive if you never had to stop but if I leave at 4:30am I usually get to Sandpoint (about 20 minutes last at least) by 8:30-9pm.

My usual speed is 65-67 mostly to keep tailgaters off my butt but I’ve gotten over them to be honest. I used to speed out of politeness but now the tailgaters can suck it and I drive just fine.

I don’t like packs, gobbles, groups, of vehicles so I stay far behind and I usually find away around major traffic areas through an app called Waze. It’s been a lifesaver compared to having your wife look through a rod atlas lol.

I’m by no means as strategic as you guys yet, but I’m definitely more conservative and defensive of a driver than arguably 90% of the other drivers. Esp in CA... I’ve been in CA since 2008 and wow! It’s by far wosrse here than any other state I’ve been to. So many people texting, tableting, tailgating and the like it’s no wonder Insurance rates are so high.

But I degres, I really enjoy the help and advice and tools I’ve gotten here and I’m really excited to make a 7640 lb 4x4 diesel get into the 20s to start and then maybe more if I catch the hypermile bug lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to gone9 For This Useful Post:
slowmover (12-09-2017)