View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
How to raise efficiency of furnace?

I'm thinking of possibly ecomodding my furnace.

The way I understand that my furnace works is that the house thermostat kicks on and it starts burning natural gas. There's some sort of thermostat inside the furnace that heats up and after a certain temperature, apparently around 90*F it turns on the fan which blows air through the heat exchanger and throughout the house.

I guess the idea is that if your house is around 70*F it would be a waste of electricity to turn on the fan if the heat exchanger is still close to 70*F since it wouldn't really be heating the house. There has to be a temperature difference for it to really work efficiently.

I see one big flaw with this design. Or maybe two. For one, I don't have A/C so on a really hot day the furnace fan will kick on for no reason. I guess it reaches that 90*F threshold and turns on. Well that's not the main problem because I can turn off the whole unit during he summer months. The major flaw is that if I have the thermostat set low, like 40*F, it takes a long time for the fan to turn on. And after that it turns on and off several times as the house warms up.

That's an inefficient waste of fuel. If the fan should kick on at 90*F heat exchanger temperature in a 70*F room then the fan should kick on at a 60*F heat exchanger temperature in a 40*F room for the same efficiency instead of waiting until the heat exchanger reaches 90*F in such a cold house.

Well the first thing I need to do is to make sure this isn't just some malfunction. Maybe it's not supposed to wait that long in a cold house. But I'm pretty sure the thing is working fine and like it should. So the next step is to figure out how to build a device that compares house temperature and heat exchanger temperature and kicks on the fan when it's at an efficient difference between the two.