View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
johnmyster
EcoModding Lurker

Brown Bus - '98 GMC Sonoma X-Cab SLS
90 day: 31.37 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
I'm afraid you need to check ohm's law all electric motors will draw more current when the voltage drops. Also when the current is forced higher that means more amps are flowing through a wire that was designed for a lower current which means more HEAT. That heat leads to failure! If both voltage and current drop then your power drops lowering fuel pressure till the point the engine is not running efficiently or quits
Um, yeah, ohm's law agrees with me.

You're saying that heat is directly proportional to current, which means you're thinking of a motor as a resistive device. Cool. Ohm's law works great for resistive devices. Actually, it works perfect.

Well, ohm's law says that for your resistive motor, when I decrease voltage, current decreases. V=I*R. So current is directly proportional to voltage. Voltage drops. Current drops. Ohm's law, right? Yup. I checked it alright. There you go.

You're thinking of a motor as a constant power device. Thus, whatever it can't get in terms of voltage, it makes up in current. However, your very assumption of a resistive motor contradicts this. Resistive and constant power are two different things. But then again you contradict yourself, because you say that power will fall when current and voltage decrease. So does current drop, or does it increase? Which is it? Pick a side here.

Motors are somewhat resistive and somewhat inductive by nature. However, for DC motors, it's safe to say the inductive contribution falls out.

Wowzers, and I wonder why people think HHO is actually a viable concept.