View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 02:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
Worked with a mechanical engineer that wanted to do that at Quaker Oats, didn't fly. Works fine for a hog barns IMO, if really looking to save $ on heating need to look at a mini-split. But if living in a mobile home and with the price of propane not much you can do to save money but keep more cloths on, and only heat the rooms you use. Doubt an electric blanket would be cheaper than propane/natural gas.
A gallon of fuel is equal to about 30kWh of electricity. So propane, gasoline diesel and electricity are all very close in price around here (about $3 per gallon or 10¢ per kWh). However my furnace uses natural gas which comes to about $1.75 per gasoline gallon equivalent. So even here in the coldest town around and having NG hot water and stove I'm only paying an average of around $600 per year on natural gas. (Am I frugal or what!)

And keeping the whole house cold and only heating certain rooms is really the whole object of this thread.

Actually electric blankets are very economic to run. My queen size electric mattress cover only uses 40W on high (if I remember correctly). And on low even in a 40*F room it's too warm. It's all about heating only what you need heated and not whole buildings or rooms, but heating just your body directly.