View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
If I could get a mortgage with the same interest rate, but with zero down, it would be $1,100 a month. Two roommates would give $400 towards mortgage insurance and utilities.
The one time I owned real estate, that's the pickle I found myself in, in the 1970s. One bedroom down, two up. Not a way to make great friends.

I was a renter in the 1990s in a place that worked well. The owners had the original house and built a detached in back until the front house was up to code. Then they added a common kitchen to connect the two. They'd paid for three kitchens by that time, but it was livable for two parties. I got in the door when they moved to a house with an indoor swimming pool.

I'm with CenturyLink. I looked at going back to dial-up to save money but it would only have been $7/month. Things changed yesterday.

I put up with bad performance (I thought it was my machine) until the previous President implemented Net Neutrality. Activity Monitor would show more outbound traffic than inbound while I was watching a video. At time the throughput would be in the 10s of kb/s; but I would multiply by 8 and say maybe it's not unreasonable.

But then it got good. Thanks Obama.

Yesterday, as soon as I saw the 3/2 vote, I tried to watch a video titled Why MSNBC Doesn't Talk About Net Neutrality — Pale Moon locked up so hard I had to Restart; then when I looked at it in Opera, I could hear the audio but the video was glitch art.

Now it's back to the same performance metrics. My friend says "The law hasn't taken effect yet", but all I can point to is my personal experience.

Insofar as paying, if I had the $500 up front I'd go with The Calyx Institute:

Quote:
The Calyx Institute now has access to the 4G / LTE data network and you can get a full year of wireless data - 30GB+ per month for FREE with membership * !!

For legal reasons, we can't call it unlimited data service, but..... We are supposed to refer to it as 30 GB+.. however when you pass the 30GB mark during the month, the Internet service does not slow down (throttle), or cut you off, and there are NO overage charges.
Privacy By Design, For Everyone

Subsequent years are only $400 ($33.33/month).