View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
The oil pan? Maybe some Quickie Lube stripped the threads on the drain plug. Maybe the gasket had a leak- a lot of them aren't even gaskets, just a bead of RTV, and it happens. R&R means remove and replace, you've got to do that to replace the gasket. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Remove accessory? They do that all the time. Tow hitch? Joe Customer is going to worry about the transmission. Wal Mart backup camera, ricer gauges on the A pillar or chrome sidesteps that are scratched up? Get rid of them before you park it out front.

Sway bar links? Potholes. Add to that the fact that many used car departments will automatically approve repairs up to a certain amount of money, and techs will recommend lots of innocuous sounding stuff that doesn't cost much per car but adds up in their paychecks at the end of the week. Say you get paid 1.0 hours to check out a car. If you have to R&R a filter to inspect it, do you want to put the old, okay one back in for free, or since you already have to talk to Parts and tell the service writer what the car needs, why wouldn't you want to throw a filter on the List Of Things To Do and get paid an extra 0.1 hours to put in a new filter?

I can't explain the valve cover. Maybe it just happened, maybe they overfilled the oil when they did the change and it pushed past the gasket, maybe they pulled it off to check out a noise and decided to slap a new one on for some reason. None of it strikes me as hidden collision damage, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (12-17-2017), Xist (12-16-2017)