View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Thanks stubby! that's numbers I had come up with but as I over-thought it, began to doubt myself. Started trying to work in the premium/regular gas argument and just kept getting more confused.

Oldtamiphylie: don't think she'd go for a Prius, not sure I'd go for one either. Still not convinced that the total footprint of the batteries is offset buy the fuel savings. Thanks for the math on that tho showing how something that good can completely cancel out a gas guzzler like a Jeep....or a turbo Subaru
If you two pay for brake service, that alone will offset the cost of a new hybrid battery every +/- 250k miles. The gas savings is just icing on the cake.

If you service your own brakes, you can also maintain you hybrid battery after it needs service for not much more than you pay for oil changes if you're OK pulling it every year or so, or for maybe $1000-$2500 (low mileage/age salvage pack to a factory replacement) if you want to set it and forget it for the next ten years.

Have you thought about a used plug-in Prius (~$15k) or a Prius Prime if you can use the full tax credit (~$20k+)? Both of them should be faster/get better mileage than the plain gen III hybrid and IME will be more reliable.

Last edited by roflwaffle; 12-17-2017 at 03:17 PM..