View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #49 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I agree on nuclear but not for transportation, even a tiny reactor that only produced 100 hp would weigh 10 tons or more. I stand by nothing is better than a tank of gasoline for transportation. I guess I should stipulate transportation on earth. Transportation without gravity or atmosphere would be well suited for nuclear.
I should have included a in my post. I meant that in jest.

Battery is a fine fuel tank for some transportation uses. In certain cases, the Tesla trucks will likely be the right solution concerning total cost of operation, reliability, etc.

Same with EVs for commuting purposes. My parents don't need 2+ gassers for their almost exclusive around town trips. A Nissan Leaf will cover 99% of their trips at 2 cents per mile in electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Wow, that slipped right past me. Easier said than done.

Think of all the effort being poured into fusion reactors, on the assumption that all the energy boiling off the surface of the Sun comes from beneath the Chromosphere rather than through plasma interactions with the planets and galax[y/ies].

Then think of that effort being put into Thorium reactors.
See what I do; depriving people of their sarcasm and not signaling when I'm being facetious?

Of course there are more promising technologies we should be exploring, but when have the masses been good at employing "common" sense or reason?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 12-22-2017 at 12:27 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-22-2017)