View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Sounds like a trip for a 2001 Insight

A Gen I Volt albeit a reliable comfortable ride isn’t ideal for that trip
37 miles electric and 40mpg slice it how you want, now if traffic is often very slow and congested a volt will offer a warm weather range of 50-60 EV miles and 45-50mpg slow, steady and hypermiling And believe me, my work was strongly anti EV with no plug ins allowed, took 9 years but wore them down for access to 110vac in the back 40.
Another important note is that GEN III PRII ARE NOT ANYTHING LIKE GEN II IN TERMS OF RELIABILITY. One mechanic I talked to says his shop averages 3 head jobs a week on Gen iii prii. A Gen I volt is on par with a Gen II Prius ignoring the water gage failure that sets a HV cel

If your feeling BLING the ELR has come way down in price, drives a little further in EV mode than a Volt, much more comfortable but lower MPGs on the highway.

If your going Prius think carefully about your options, I have wanted a V to use as a pickup like craft transport car, but after looking harder I don’t want to mess with it given head issues.
So skip Gen III, find a cherry Gen II or a Gen IV
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1699/overview/
I’ve seen 2016’s as low as $12000 in Jan/feb just be willing to drive and not be picky on specs.
The only Gen III to consider is the PIP, seen them for $7k on up same price as the non plug in, one I’m aware of had the head issue.

Cruze, if it’s like my Cobalt mid 40’s should be possible on the highway at your speeds, simple cars but chains can require attention

Your call