View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #39 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
I haven't read everything but the first page. The type of carbon fiber they are talking about using is an interesting type. Carbon fiber is a blanket term for any type of mix that qualifies as carbon fiber. The really strong weave that people impregnate for one way strength panels (race skins- hoods, fenders, etc...) are very fragile. The stuff they are using will be identical to the type of "Carbon fiber" Ford used on the gt350. Its basically a lightweight plastic/carbon composite mix that is lighter than plastic but still as resilient to fracturing and looks just like normal plastic composites...
If you look closely at the plastic looking radiator cover with webbing. Thats the "Carbon fiber" I'm talking about. Basically becomes lighter than fiberglass, cheap to manufacturer and paint, and isn't as damn fragile as some of these impregnated composite weave body panels.
Realistically GM is just being hard headed and won't hurt themselves with their own "aluminum beds are ****" marketing campaign they had on Ford so they will implement a carbon fiber bed, and have aluminum body panels every where else like what is standard.