View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
David Philips
EcoModding Lurker

Seats and Steering Wheel

I have a Nissan that has heated seats and a heated steering wheel. The wheel is warm in a half mile and seat is toasty in about a mile and half. I keep the water and fan off until the temp is 2/3rds up to full warm. An annoying problem with the CVT is that it is the last thing to get warm and the engine is revvy and won't pull at low rpm's until at least 3 miles on a 25 degree day. At about 3 miles everything is getting normal and decent mileage returns on the instant mileage readout.

All this tells you it is REALLY important to avoid short trips in cold weather. The further you drive, the lower the impact on your overall mileage the startup will make. If you do four winter startups in 100 miles that will make a huge dent in your overall trip mileage. Maybe 20% drop.

Years ago I had a Saab 96 that had an upside down window shade device at the bottom front of the radiator. It was pulled up by a pull chain under the dash. I have never been able to make a device like that work on later cars. It worked great on the two stroke Saab.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Philips For This Useful Post:
Fingie (12-29-2017), redpoint5 (12-27-2017)