View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #677 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The Lorenz quote is a witty way to say that complex systems are beyond our ability to accurately predict future outcomes.

Perhaps my objection to chaos is not allowing me to further ponder what is being said. My belief is there is no chaos; only sufficiently complex systems to befuddle mere humans. There is infinitely more we don't know than we do, so it's only natural to conclude that things happen because, random.

The impact of global climate change, our ability to shape its trajectory, and predictions of how it will affect other organisms, environments, human well-being, and economics (to name just a few of millions of considerations) is well outside our deductive ability. If every person devoted themselves to the study of various aspects of global climate change, we will still be missing the majority of the picture.
+1 on the first part, but I disagree at the end. Mankind is only where we are today because of learning from our world. The reason we don't know everything is that we're still learning, and the reason we didn't know everything thousands of years ago is that it takes time.

And yes, the fact that we're still learning means that we're wrong about a lot. In fact, the more we learn, the more things we can see we're wrong about. But I don't see that as a good enough reason to give up and stop trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (01-02-2018), niky (01-04-2018), redpoint5 (12-29-2017)