Thread: Bonnet bra aero
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rosieuk
EcoModding Lurker

Bonnet bra aero

Got my hands on one of these today (in between prescription and Tegu wrangling) and something struck me as odd.
The back edge of the upper panel has what I'd describe as two ears (presumably airflow hold downs) but it strikes me that if you look up the line of flow towards the windscreen wipers, the two ears (perpendicular triangular spoilers about an inch high and maybe 6in wide) might act to channel the airflow around and over the exposed wiper mounts (thank you Hyundai).
I dont know if I'm going to fit this yet, I'm not even sure if I'll even get a working car back - but it strikes me that if this is the case for certain cars, you'd get an aerodynamic benefit as well as protection from road edge gravel and stones helpfully sprayed by uncoordinated cretins (although not the head sized rock that was spat out of an artic wheel and almost decapitated my dad (that was one sad looking Mercedes estate)).
I wondered if anyone had previously tested or thought of testing this theory? The things look not a little like a split gurney flap and while I doubt the manufacturer had any aerodynamic intentions it wouldn't be the first time something had unexpected side effects..

The Following User Says Thank You to Rosieuk For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-06-2018)