View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thalass
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
Retractable wing mirrors?

Hey folks. I was thinking about this on the way to work the other day. Would it be possible to have an R/C type servo inside the mirror (the ones on my car are quite large, and should have a fair volume inside that's empty) to pull in and deploy the mirrors as needed? The circuitry shouldn't be too hard. A limit switch for each end of movement in series with the motor, and an open/closed switch inside. You could even design it so that they automatically retract over a certain speed, and then deploy as you slow down - with perhaps an override switch in case you needed them out.

It wouldn't be as aerodynamic as removing them and replacing with cameras, but I'm not sure of the legality of that in Australia, and some people might like to keep the stock look. The key with this would be to keep everything inside the existing body, otherwise any levers or things out in the air stream would counteract any CoD gains from having the mirror retracted.

So has anyone done this? Or is it too much trouble?