View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 01:51 AM   #56 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I appreciate the volumes of knowledge required to build and tune an ICE to perform the way you want. However, if I were building a muscle car, I'd build it electric. What's more muscly than 1000 ft/lbs of torque? What's more simple than an electric motor, controller, and batteries?

Does the definition of "muscle" preclude the use of a turbo? I suppose that's more ricer territory. Are we limited to cam profiles and compression ratios then?
An electric motor is too quiet for my liking.
  1. I won't be able to detect problems with an electric motor like I am with my good old fashioned internal combustion engine.

2. I won't really enjoy driving around in a quiet and dull electric car. Hearing the soothing sound of an internal combustion engine makes the experience so much more enjoyable.

3. I won't be able to gauge when I am losing traction in the winter time. If you are not detecting the rear of the car swinging out, then you have your tachometer and the exhaust sound to gauge if you are losing traction, spinning our tires, and need to slow down!

I consider a car using a blower to be cheating under the definition of muscle car, however that is my opinion! A car can be a muscle car by having the powerful motor and someone can add to the performance by adding a blower, but I regard the car as a muscle car with a naturally aspirated motor.