View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 02:20 AM   #58 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
What instrumentation do you have? Generally, the largest improvement comes from having driver feedback.

Do you use the garage's fuel log? Data is useful, and by logging your tanks, you can get an better idea of how weather, conditions and modifications affect your averages.

A lot of methods being recommended here are tested and proven. I understand that you may be skeptical of some of them, but the data is here if you want to know.

I understand you're not, you're just looking for ideas, but if you have a difference in opinion about something and would like to recommend it for others to try, having data to back up your assertions lends credence. I hope I don't come off as harsh, but I'm highly skeptical of (as an example) running exotic fuels and doing 6-8x as many oil changes as a method of saving money over time.
I record my fuel use on the EPA fuel mileage site. I have used this site on a few occasions to diagnose problems when my mileage was too low for the very conservative driving I was doing!

Unfortunately I can't use my data as "proof" for an experiment since it is only my car and the weather conditions are varying! However, it gives me a ballpark idea of whether or not I am operating within the EPA estimated mileage for my vehicle. However, I feel I can bump my mileage up a tad more and my goal is not just to improve the highway mileage but how can I improve my city mileage to match the 6-cylinder EPA estimates for my vehicle. There has to be a way to do it while bumping up my power production a little more.

So far I have the compression ratio on my mind, low end torque and driving in low RPM around town, and then finding ways to reduce internal friction in the motor with the new engine ceramic coatings they use and parts that further reduce internal friction like the often not thought about true roller timing chain. It is all racing motor technology but it does help street motors in terms of fuel economy!

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 01-05-2018 at 02:35 AM..