View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #62 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
It's actually very easy to detect electric motor health.
Vibration analysis can sense bearing condition and megger and growler testing can give stator winding insulation condition.
This is fully developed testing science that has been used on industrial motors for nearly 30 years and has been gaining increased popularity with the expanding use of variable frequently drives. VFDs are a little harder on motors than just running them on organic 60hz power all the time.
This is purely a matter of preference and philosophy when it comes to what type of vehicle you want to drive. As ironic as it is that I am trying to get into the field of computer programming, I prefer to drive a lower tech car!

While it is nice and very convenient to have the onboard diagnostic system alert me to problems with the motor that I can not detect, I sure as heck don't want to rely on the computer for everything! I don't need the computer to assist me in braking my car and I don't need the computer to assist me in parallel parking! I sure don't want a car that drives itself! At that point you shouldn't even have a driver's license when you are no longer receiving daily experience from driving first hand!

Well, back on topic, I don't want an electric car! While some try to promote it as the future of motor vehicles, I still see a future where improvements are being made to internal combustion engines and entirely new designs that yield impressive performance, all while running on Bio-Fuel!