View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #76 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
It's a 97 F-body man, I hope it has sentimental value because those cars are definitely not worth the cost of a restoration. How about buying a beater car so that you can keep the bird in the garage in winter and not subject it to salt and snow?...Keep the V8 for the weekends, that's what I did and I never regretted it.
Well, this is purely your opinion! I am not impressed with today's cars and I certainly don't want a touch screen computer in my center dash serving as a distraction! GM does not build cars with the option to to delete the center dash computer screen, that I know of, giving it the technological look of my late 90's car!

Also, it is getting harder to find cars with reliable stick shift transmissions. Screw those paddle shifting autos, only a true manual is safer and better for daily driving, including the winter!

No car has the styling of my F-body, except for the Corvette, but I won't drive something like that in winter, it's too low to the ground!

The F-body has proven to be winter drivable, so why would I mess with driving a beater that is unreliable in winter after all the money spent on my F-body?!

Yes, it is foolish to drive a car such as this in winter after I have spent so much money to restore it like new, but the added expense of storage, going to the DMV to take the car off the road, put the beater on the road, and then contact my insurance to switch coverage to the beater, it is too much of a royal pain in the butt! I have been there before in 2007 when I tried to do the same thing with my Trans Am at that time but the economic depression of 2008 would not allow me to spend that kind of money juggling with two cars. So I had to sell my then 6-cylinder Firebird (beater) and use my more reliable and immaculate Trans Am for winter driving... (Sigh)

Nothing is perfect and no car is supposed to last forever, but you can restore old cars and I would prefer to give those guys my business then buying newer cars that are overly tech and hardly as fun to drive as my F-body!