View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #80 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Thoughts on using an altermotor?
I am not going to spend the amount of money it costs to purchase a top-tier Corvette or even an Aston Martin, to overly modify and possibly ruin my LT1 motor. A few percent worth of fuel savings is what I am realistically expecting after all is said and done with friction reduction by building, essentially, a race motor, but detuned for daily driving using a restrictive 1985 TPI intake! Sounds like a winner, right?!

I am not looking to dump $30,000 OR MORE on severe modifications, that money is going into subtle alterations to my car's exterior and interior! I know what I am getting myself into and for the modifications I have in mind, at most a thousand here, half-a-thousand for this, a few times over, and I have the motor I have been dreaming about, with as much internal friction reduction as could be built in, some power increase for my RPM band of focus, and tuned for various throttle positions and driving loads for better fuel economy and splurging on high performance moments.

I did look into that start-stop technology that was recommended, and despite conflicting information, I think I am going to avoid it like the plague! If worse comes to worse I can always shut off my motor if I am stuck in traffic with no movement happening due to an accident or blizzard conditions. Aside from this, this video helped to convince me to avoid it!