View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
ecoromer
Overland Explorer

Romer - '04 Toyota Tacoma
BamZipPow:

A T100, great truck! I almost sold my current platform to get the extra width and stronger frame. Alas, it would have set me back in excess if $15000 in upgrades. Next time I suppose.

Lots of great questions and considerations! And yes, all measurements are in metric. I gave up on imperial for construction almost a decade ago.

All of the outside edges have a 4cm (~1.5") radius except the front which I'm experimenting with different molded noses.

The camper sits on a rigid subframe that is isolated from the chassis with a modified four-point torsion free suspension. I'm not sure similar the roof of the T100 is, but the roof of Tacoma has a lot of curvature side-to-side and front-to-back. The closest the cabover sits to the roof is above the 3rd brake light at about 3cm. From there outward it increases to more than 6cm in the sides and front. The frame has been boxed the entire length of the C-channel in the rear. I think with the reinforcement and the short length of the cabover it's improbably that even fully flexed the cab can contact the camper.

My design has no exoskeleton as you may have observed in similar one off builds. The exterior panels are constructed of a sheet of 17oz woven roving glass, 50mm (~2") of foam, and a 34oz WR exterior. The panels are joined with dowel and epoxy resin. After it sets, the edges are routed, layers of carbon fiber and fiberglass are laid up to reinforce the joint. The inside is filleted to similarly join the panels. I have some testing to do with the panels, joints, etc, but I suspect this will be more than sufficient.

I have done a couple years of research, taking a page here and there from mostly individual or smaller builders. There are not many similarities between this and the commercial 4WC or Phoenix pop-up other than the size.

It does expand, with folding rigid panes, to an interior height of ~6'4". The roof lift is hydraulic - both supporting and locking it in place.

I've attached an expanded model.

Cripple Rooster:

I think I've seen photos of that vehicle. Yes, there are some similarities, especially being a smaller vehicle. Very clever pop-up in the sleeping area on that one! It all comes down to knowing what you need and what you can live without. Or maybe more importantly, what your partner can't live without
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2018-01-08 at 9.35.48 AM.png
Views:	57
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	23331  
The Following User Says Thank You to ecoromer For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (01-09-2018)