View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Headlight oddities:

One night out with the family at a movie we came out and found my wife's 2007 Mazda5 had no functioning headlights. Luckily there's a NAPA at the other end of the parking lot, so I pull in and go to buy a pair of bulbs. Guy finds it in his system, sells me the pair, I go out and start scratching the heck out of my hands trying to get the bad bulb out. Finally get the retaining bail off the back of the bulb, pull it out, and go to grab the new one to put back in. It doesn't match the old one. Take them both back in and ask the guy at the counter what gives? He takes a look at the old bulb, takes it from me, unplugs the factory adapter from the back, and hands me the two pieces. I apologize, and go back out to resume fighting with the retainer bails. Finally get the two new bulbs with adapters installed and one side is still out. Fight with it more, and figure out that if I wiggle the adapter, it works intermittently. Sigh. Drive home on one headlight. Call the local parts store near home the next day and the guy says "Yeah, we have that part under X brand. Must be "known bad" from Mazda, because X brand only picks up the problem parts that the OEM's don't do right." I order two, install one, it works. I toss the spare new one in my toolbox (along with the bulb that was good on that side with the bad adapter...) as a spare.

Other side is intermittent right now. Been below -10 for a few weeks so I haven't fixed it yet - and it always comes on if I give the headlight a physical thump. Not sure if busted filament or bad adapter yet, I'll check it when it finally quits or it gets a lot warmer out. Too cold to mess with that dang wire bail.

So, my troubleshooting for non-functioning headlight starts with "give headlight a physical thump." Beware adapters on the bulbs in Mazdas (and probably related Fords).