View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #137 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
So, the reason hybrid systems gain efficiency and save gas are these:

1) You replace a low efficiency alternator with a higher efficiency generator, potentially saving several mpg
2) You can capture some of your braking or slowing-down energy, which can be used to accelerate your car again, greatly improving city economy, saving your brake pads and reducing engine wear
3) You don't need to rev your engine up as much when accelerating, because you produce more power down low, which usually saves fuel and reduces engine wear. You can even gear it taller, further saving gas.
4) You get rid of unreliable alternators and starter motors, and replace them with a single more efficient device that basically will never fail
I am still stubborn for wanting the AWD hybrid function on my car. It is no different than how I want to build my car for when I do have fun with it, torque on demand.

Well, if two hub generators on the rear of the car are not enough for this set-up, how about also including the altermotor? When the car is braking or engaged in Decelerated Fuel Cut-Off, the front hub motors and rear generators both contribute to recharging the system as intended. I just get sick to my stomach thinking about the amount of customization that will be needed to get this to work and assuming the front wheel hub system can even work on my car.

If the system won't be AWD and self-sufficient then I see no point in having it. I don't want to have to charge up the batteries manually when I expect the system to be able to charge up while driving, that makes it all the more attractive to people such as myself. Then, not having to mess around with when the electric motors come on, they simply assist the gasoline engine throughout the entire drive, is really what I seek. With the torque that the front hub motors are able to deliver, I still have a hard time believing that this car will have trouble accelerating, especially with a V8 motor.