View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Jdesign
Ecostanced

ES9 - '03 Honda CIVIC Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
I have yet to find a YouTube video that provides a reliable process. What they lack is:

1) use of proper equipment.
2) use of proper process.
3) identification of acceptable performance criteria
4) reliable mid to long-term feedback on success
5) reliable source for good replacement sticks

Pack-level charge/discharge reconditioning is 99.9% as effective as single stick cycling when done correctly.

If this is something you wish to devote a solid 2-3 weeks of downtime, then I can walk you through a decent process. You will likely need to purchase a salvage yard pack or source an entire pack's worth of sticks. Note that MANY folks have failed to build a working pack even when using 2-3 source packs. While the HCH2 is MUCH worse, it took me 15 packs to build 3.

With any luck, you haven't damaged anything, and what you've done has successfully reconditioned/rebalanced the pack, and you'll get some longevity out of it with grid charging and occasional discharging.

BTW... how did you discharge the pack? Did you make alternate connections? IIRC, the MV harness has a diode in it that prevents pack discharge through the harness.
I dont mind the down time as I have other vehicles to drive. Im curious to see how it drives as it has been on the grid charger for almost two days now.

I attached a porcelain light fixture to the same leads as the grid charger, and let the battery discharge with a 75w bulb. Probably not the best way to do it, now that I am more aware that the slower the discharge the better. Im learning though. After that I just removed the bulb and started the grid charger.

I was considering buying a pack of sticks on ebay if this doesnt help give the battery a little more "life"