View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
mannydantyla
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
OK here's my XJ.

As you can see I've already got a good start. I've removed the fender flairs and trimmed the fenders just a tiny bit. However I kept the front bumper and air dam all intact. I'm really glad I did that now.

One of the things I did when trimming the fenders was I had to deal with the plastic inner fender shield things. Instead of tear them out like most people, I trimmed them and then "stitched" them to the plastic bumper covers using zip ties.

Last summer I added some hood vents, and I added them to the lower pressure zone at the front of the hood, not at the high pressure zone at the back.

At the time that I added the hood vents, I was 100% concerned about the best way to get hot air out of the engine bay. Thankfully that was also a good design choice for aerodynamics! Negative pressure (vacuum) zones, especially when behind the vehicle, slows the vehicle down. When on top of the hood, it's like the lift of an airplane wing. My hood vents will actually help reduce this! Maybe..

It's now winter and I've added a few things since thing..

Aside from all the road salt (gross), the XJ is now sporting TJ mirrors and window deflectors.

The TJ mirrors are probably less aerodynamic than the original ones (but they look cooler!) so I may or may not put the old ones back on. The window deflectors are there because, in the summer, I can cruise with the windows open (I have no AC) more comfortably and efficiently - windows down ruins your aerodynamics.

One more thing I've added recently is a transfer case skid plate. I made it myself.

This is great because not only does it protect the TC it also keeps the air flowing smooth down there. I'll probably extend it a little more by welding on new material, not for protection but for air flow.

---------------------------------

A few days ago I purchased my first welder. It's a DC stick welder. Looking forwarding to fabricating and modding!

Here's my plans for the near future:
  • remove the stock cargo rails, and possibly make custom ones that will look like those found on a Nissan Xterra of FJ Cruiser. I think that will be much better
  • add a skid plate in front of the front axle - Rusty's Offroad has one for $130, or I can try to find a factory one, or I can make one myself
  • add little tiny skid plates in front of the lower control arm mounts on the front axle. It protects and it makes it more aerodynamic. Win win!
  • extend the transfer case skid plate
  • remove the rear bumper end caps and possibly do a cut and fold to the rear lower fenders and build a new rear pumper or something
  • build a gas tank skid plate and connect it to the rear bumper with a diffuser
  • air up the tires to 40 psi
  • get some engine mods (yet to be determined) such as cold air intake, full
  • length headers, neon fuel injectors, etc. that will boost power especially at lower RPM
  • replace the mechanical fan with electric fans
  • get a new radiator

Too bad the front hubs aren't selectable. Although you could remove the front driveshaft and put it back on when you're ready to go wheeling but that's not for me
The Following User Says Thank You to mannydantyla For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (01-11-2018)