View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 02:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
oldtamiyaphile
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying the solar panels will output enough kW to run the motor directly.

End result is actually significant kWh per day direct from the sun - certainly enough for my local driving habits.
Technically there's no result until you've done it. It takes my 340W panels 2hrs to bring my 120Ah starting battery up to float after a drive (with the alternator connected). My van is 5.5 x 2m, so not exactly small, there's realistically only space for ~680W of panels unless you find ones that happen to fit exactly. On a bigger van you might get 1000W of panels onto your vehicle. Max output will be less than half rated output at midday, summer solstice.

You can use solar to top up leisure batteries fine, drive batteries on a motorhome, not so much. It's going to take a lot of kWh to move a vehicle that size.

I looked into converting my old T5, would have cost AU$30k in batteries (new) for a ~100km range. If you're trying to build a camping vehicle the size of a Sprinter it's simply way too expensive.

Not sure what the goal is- a van that size is way too big for a daily, our carparks aren't designed for things like that, it's bad enough with a mid size van. A car+ trailer is actually more practical/ maneuverable in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_t View Post
I don't see any downsides to this - my emergency backup will be, shock horror, plugging in and charging - like any other electric car does...
The down side is you have to park in the sun. The sun destroys paint work & plastics and means it's always scorching hot inside. There's never a prize for guessing which cars have always lived outside and which have been garaged.

If you're using flexible panels they only have a ~5 year life span. Ironically your solar panels will last longer if you park in the shade. I still park in the shade wherever possible. Frankly, vehicle mounted solar is a last resort.

It's far better to park in a garage and put the panels on that. That way you can use reliable glass panels and angle them correctly.

Last edited by oldtamiyaphile; 01-14-2018 at 05:09 AM..