View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Jdesign
Ecostanced

ES9 - '03 Honda CIVIC Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Okay, there's the problem. With the IPU cover off, you have disabled all battery cooling. Your voltage drop was due to the battery getting extremely hot.

The battery cooling system works as follows:

Battery fan blows air into trunk.
This creates low pressure in the IPU bay.
Air is drawn in from the upper deck, down through the battery, through the IPU bay and then out the fan into the trunk.

You have subjected your battery to extreme temperatures. Couple that with extended over-charging, and you have likely induced a large amount of voltage depression into the pack - what you tried to get rid of with your discharge. Hopefully, you haven't done permanent damage.

BEFORE DRIVING THE CAR, I recommend you:

1) discharge pack to 96V
2) install IPU cover
3) charge the shorter of 32 hours OR peak voltage held for 8 hours. Attempt to verify that air is being drawn in through the vents in the upper deck (you should be able to feel/hear it)
4) remove IPU cover
5) repeat 1-3
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Other priority's took place but im back now. I will discharge to 96v and install the cover and recharge. After doing so I will I will check back. Further note, the voltage has been at 163 since we talked last without any change.

Once I do a few cycles I will connect the regular battery and drive it to see if it still throws an IMA code. If so I will check read the codes.