View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
ptsmith24
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Welcome to the site. I see you are above EPA (congrats). What are you currently doing to get better mileage? We can give suggestions with a little insight into that and your daily commute.
Thanks. Well, I start with regular maintenance. Regular oil changes as well as an aftermarket air intake system (just a cheapo because my stock one broke and it was going to be the same price to get a used stock replacement). I also clean the throttle body thouroughly every 6k miles or so in addition to adding a bottle of FI cleaner during that tank of fuel or next. Also, lately I've been paying more attention to my driving habits. I've been trying to accelerate slower (paying attention to shift point RPMs). I've also been trying to use the brake less when approaching red lights or am about to turn (traffic limiting, naturall). I've skimmed through the tips page on this site and there are some things I'm doing and some things I'm not. I am planning on building the MPG gauge from the plans/ideas in that section of the forum on this site.

I don't really have a commute, per se. I am a student and live approximately 4 miles from campus. I also go to campus in Savannah twice a week (100 mile round trip each time). I take a back road in order to maintain a speed of about 60mph, instead of 70-75mph on the interstate.

Any suggestions? I think I addressed all of your questions.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh, another thing. I removed the backseat from my car. This wasn't done with the intention of increasing mileage, but due to the fact I spilled motor oil everywhere back there and found it best to just have a bigger trunk. That's also where the name for my vehicle (El Camrino) came from.

Last edited by ptsmith24; 08-25-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: added to post