View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
stefanv
EcoModding Lurker

2001 Saturn - '01 Saturn SL1
90 day: 41.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Nice work on the kill switch! I'm still trying to source a reasonably priced NC momentary switch for doing a kill switch in my Ion... Where can I find one? Hadn't found a good one yet...
Thanks!

The switch I used is NO, and it is used to energize a relay with NC contacts. I didn't want to run the fuel injector supply voltage all the way from the under-hood fuse block to the centre console and back due to power losses and more points of disabling failure (e.g. the wire breaking or coming off the switch). Also, in my experience, an NC switch is much more likely to fail open than an NC relay.

I did choose a fairly robust switch though, since it has to survive in the harsh environment of a car, and I didn't want the switch to become non-functional, even if it doesn't disable the car by failing:

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?keywords=EG4724-ND

It's dust proof, water resistant, and its electrical life is rated at 200,000 cycles at 2A. It should last for its full rated 1,000,000 mechanical cycles in my application since it's only switching 0.25A.

Last edited by stefanv; 01-23-2018 at 02:39 PM..