View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #222 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by triangles View Post
This may be blasphemous but you could get a 2.7L 4cyl Toyota engine from a Tundra or 4runner and simply swap the engine. You'd probably have to get a custom drive shaft made and then you could play with different gearing in the rear to optimize fuel economy. I'd be surprised if you couldn't beat 30mpg. Take a look around and see what other rear engine 4cy cars are out there you could potentially do a swap with. A miata might work, I would advise against a Chevette motor. Those cars are one reason I can't bring myself to buy a Chevy today. I'm not familiar with what Chevy has in the S10 or other smaller trucks. Maybe one of those motors might make sense for a swap.
I appreciate the thought, on top of suggestions for swapping in a diesel motor! However, the goal is to overhaul my V8 LT1 engine and improve it in terms of power production and fuel efficiency, which is a tough act to balance, not spend additional money to swap in something new.

Besides, I enjoy having a moment once in awhile to let loose and floor the gas pedal! Then, the beautiful idle from my LT1 and then hearing the growls and snarls from acceleration and engine braking are what really make the experience rewarding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix'97 For This Useful Post:
triangles (01-28-2018)