View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMHondaGuy View Post
Denso and NTK are two of my favorite Asian suppliers for parts like these, they're very good. But you're right it doesn't mean the OEM sensor doesn't have some weird exclusive bull **** going on. If the parts store wants $339 for a Bosche unit, I don't want to call a dealer to see what they want for the "Honda" OEM part.... Of course I also don't want to waste $200 on a part that while it may (partially) work (narrow band portion), wont allow the lean burn mode to engage due to some odd non-standard 0-5v wideband calibration
Yup. One reason why although I love the idea of the HX and tried to buy one, I'm relieved it didn't work out. At this age, maintenance items like that specific to its lean burn wipe out the $$$ advantage of its FE gains

Do your own research - I would if I were an HX or VX owner - I can't answer your question but I can validate that you want to exercise caution here. If you can snag something aftermarket (or RockAuto or something), which works, that's a nice win, but be cautious now before having to be a parts changer.

Do you have anything at all which can show you live data from the sensor? The diagnostician in me wants proof it's that before changing it. I know some of the Actron scanners would display things like that, as will my UltraGauge, but the data rate out of OBDII is so slow it's not worthwhile unless it's so dead that there's zero doubt. Guys like ScannerDanner and EricTheCarGuy on YouTube might have some things you can try with more basic tools before condemning the sensor.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17

Last edited by jcp123; 01-24-2018 at 10:09 PM..