View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #115 (permalink)
Phoenix'97
EcoModding Lurker

White Steed - '97 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-ls1 View Post
I'm new here and thought I would share my project. I know that a 35 MPG goal pales in comparison to some of your achievements, but I think it's a pretty aggressive goal for a old Chevy.
My project started out as a 283 V8/2 speed auto, 2 door Malibu. I weighed it with very little fuel in it prior to tear down and it weighed 3,172 lbs.
I bought an all aluminum 3.8L/220 CI V6 and a 6 speed double overdrive automatic transmission from a 2013 Camaro. The Camaro shows that it weighs approx 3,850 lbs. I never got to weigh the actual doner car.
My goal is to bring the finished project in at around 2,850 lbs. The new engine/trans is a lot lighter then the old iron V8, I have added lighter suspension and brakes, will use lighter weight seats, aluminum radiator, aluminum wheels, fiberglass hood, etc. I don't think the 2,850 lbs will be tough to reach.
The Camaro's EPA rating on the highway was 30 MPG. I believe that my car being approx. 1000 lbs lighter, lowered 2" from stock, a front air dam, and whatever other tweaks I can add, 35 MPG is a realistic goal.
What do you guys think?
More power to you! You are not alone as I too am exploring ways to increase fuel efficiency and fuel economy out of my muscle car. There are plenty of people on this site who can give you incredible advice, suggestions, and awesome ideas!