View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 11:58 PM   #38 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, maybe. Perhaps a more pertinent question would be whether an autopilot system developed by urbanites, and mostly driven on urban freeway commutes, would even recognize a deer - or cow, bear, wild horse, antelope, buffalo, fallen tree or large rocks that've rolled down the mountainside, or any of the other things occasionally encountered on the road out here in the non-urban world. It's like the people who insist that they can bypass the snow-closed interstate by taking a single-land dirt road through the mountains in their low-clearance 2WDm, because their navigation systems say it's a road.
When I first heard this story I thought the rental car must have had a bad GPS, but it looks like even old skool maps can lead you astray. This was a sad deal, a series of unfortunate events.

Deaths of mother, son in mountains last month leave many questions | News | missoulian.com

I have been stuck in waist deep snow with my family as well as my 6 year old twin nephews. It gets pretty scary fast and you just need to slow down and make good choices. We were 8 hours getting out with help and only 200 yards from a clear road. We had cell service and it was 60 degrees so were never in real danger but it gave me a ton of respect. Now I always carry a tow strap and Hi-lift jack when going into the mountains along with all the normal good clothes, blankets, food, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
slowmover (01-28-2018)