View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 01:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Exactly that. The Bolt forum members talk about how disappointing the new Leaf is with only 150 miles of range, but I think Nissan has that worked out just about right. What I'd really like to see is a modular battery design, where capacity can be added and removed with relative ease. Would be even better if it was user replaceable, although designing thermal management would be tricky. Make a modular design, and you take both cost and range off the table of complaints, as the car can be cheap if needed, or go long distance if someone is willing to pay.
I expect most EVs will come with multiple options of battery packs just like gas cars come with different engines. Tesla area does it and the Leaf will come with the option of a 40 kWh or 60 kWh pack next year. If I remember correctly Volvo was going to offer 3 different battery packs for there upcoming EV.

What I don't expect is for those to be added or taken out after the car is sold. I don't think most OEMs want customers dealing with orange high voltage cables.

(That said Honda has a modular system for their electric PCX scooter

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
samwichse (02-02-2018)