View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #29 (permalink)
samwichse
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
I pulled the bulb off of one of mine (Luminus brand from Costco, not Fiet).

Still works:

Meaning there's no phosphorescent lining to the inside of the bulb, as I was starting to wonder. I can't see there being enough phosphor on top of those tiny chips, either (but correct me if I'm wrong).

Longevity seems ok, in spite of not having a huge heat sink. I've had to replace 1 that I know of in the past ~2 years, on lights that stay on 24/7. Not completely conclusive, but at least comparable to CFLs, which always seem to croak after a couple of years.

I'll re-purpose this bulb. 800 lumens at 9.5 watts (though double that volt-amp wise) for a couple of bucks? Drool!

Edit: They may very well have a phosphor lining built in to each LED...when you cut the power, the LEDs fade to nothing over a half a second or so. (or does the power supply have a capacitor that takes a moment to discharge?) Might explain the yellow you see on modern LEDs? (they used to all be clear just a few years back). Then again, I have red and yellow LED bulbs that are yellow on top.

Welp, I'm now thoroughly confused. Someone enlighten me!

Edit: it inst a persistent glow, like a CFL...I'm going with capacitor discharge.
The yellow part on top of the chip is the phosphor.

But as blue LEDs have become cheaper, UV chips were phased out for blue color with phosphor conversion to the other colors. In filament type bulbs, the phosphor coats the whole stand.