View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 11:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
This is more than a motorcycle:

Airbags will need to meet US standards
HVAC will need to be filled with US legal refrigerant and meet US standards
The power windows will need automatic reverse
The glass will need to meet US standards.
Seatbelts will need to meet US standards.

Then you have shipping. This is closer in size to a car than a motorcycle and they would be lucky to get 10 in a container. Then you have truck shipping within the USA

You have to be licensed, bonded, and insured in the USA. You need a US sales force. You need to register VIN numbers. You need to offer financing and be able to buy down APRs to match the competition. You have to have a dealership network (that takes a percentage of the sale price) or some other way to handle distribution, vehicle prep, recalls and warranty claims.

All of this adds up to more than $10K. I was a product manager responsible for a UTV manufactured in India and sold the USA. The little stuff adds up.
This would actually be easier than a UTV, 3 wheels means motorcycle in the US. I don't think that will stand once somebody actually does some real production and gets a ton on the road but in the meantime they just need motorcycle safety and emissions which are easy in comparison. Still $10,000 isn't going to happen but this company does make an e-bike less than I could put one together myself using the least expensive parts available so who knows. $10,000 also shurely doesn't cover things like shipping, it doesn't for any car's or motorcycle's MSRP.